Friday, April 06, 2007

A mice day at the show? Maybe not.

Oh Rats! It wasn't really that mice/nice of a day. I mean, it was fantastic and great as far as the public were concerned - but from an organiser's point of view lots of things went up the creek - and we left the padddle at home.

To start with, we had issues at security. Not just us as officials, but EVERYONE entering the site with animals had problems. Dog people, horse people, rat people. You name it. The poor co-ordinator of the domestic animals was coping complaints left and right.

Then we had issues with the printer - which delayed printing of certificates until 4.30pm (that is when we were meant to be presenting the awards!).

At 9am when the welcome speech was being given it was realised that we were missing 4 very important trophies!! Had to have them ordered, engraved and delivered to the showgrounds by 4pm. I picked these up at 4.15!

We unfounately had animals make it through vetting while being infectious, inhabited (by parasites), or being obviously ill. This was a big issue. Numerous animals should not have made it onto the judges table (where they were promptly disqualified and then put into quarantine).

There were numerous other things that happened, including template problems with the certificates, but all in all the awards were given out and people had an ok day. One issue that occurred though (which really got to me) was that one exhibitor took home most of the awards. Now, I don't care so much about that - good on her for having the best animals on the day... the thing that annoys me the most however is that her entry costs were capped - she entered X amount of animals, and only payed $YY amount of money. And yet, she walked home with about $YYY value of trophies, not to mention what the Easter Show gave us (each trophy probably worth around $100 or so)... Next year, I think people either pay their fee without discount, or don't enter that large number of animals. It's just not fair on Jack or Jill Smith. Well. That's my thoughts.

In other show-stuff. Tara was the key attractions, attracting top scores from all admirers. Everyone just wanted to award her Number Uno. It even helped when she decided she wanted to play in the cat cages (about 60 x 60cm). She thought that was the most fun ever.

And she once again adored the fireworks. Last year was the first year she ever saw fireworks. One year on and nothing has changed. Bless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, sounds like a nightmare. That's coz you didn't have me there ;) Just kidding!

I can't get over the vetting though. Or the fact that people even brought along animals like that in the first place! Well, guessing who some of the people were, I guess I can believe they would have. Sad.

Anonymous said...

oops, that was me (Liisa)

Kristie said...

I know who a couple of people were, and I know they were not happy about some of the decisions. But that happens. To be honest, Lice are one of those ones even I have trouble looking for, but if the judges saw it I defer to them.

The vet is wonderful, but I can understand how a mouse here or there can get passed when you are going over 20 or so in a box. And having taken a sick animal to the show once, and not knowing - I can sort of understand how the owners can miss it too...

we are thinking of new ways to make sure all animals are covered next year for lice/mites - including having to provide your revolution/advantage serial number/sticker with your entries or at least send a confirmation a week before... dunno... thinking ;)

Amanda O. said...

Oh yikes! Sounds like some things are universal - putting on a show being an exercise in proving Murphy's law being one of them! I forget if you guys show mice, rats or both? (<-- points to my leaky brain) L says cat cages sound like fun! He and his little dog show buddies usually hang out in crates and x-pens! LOL