Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Heaven in a shop...

Three times in the last two weeks people have mentioned this shop to me, so today after Mothers Group I headed down the street to find the old shop with wool.

It was behind ricketty windows that were covered in road dust, brown and speckled with the weather. Before I walked through the doors I could see the flecks of colour in the window and I gasped as I realised I was about to walk into a utopia...

It would have been no wider than four metres, shelves up to the ceiling on the right, a table in the middle and shelves on the left. The left hand side was packed with quilters fabrics - a nappy makers dream... In the middle on the table was a set of old charm scales, and some patterns on sale... On the right hand side, and down the back wall were balls and balls and balls of wool. Hundreds of colours, Shades, Plys, Cotton, Acrylic, Mohair and of course, 100% Pure Wool.

I was speaking to the lady and told her I was after varigated wool in particular. She showed me some 12 ply that was just beautiful, and I was just about to buy some when she decided to show me the specials. I had not noticed them behind the counter, but sure enough there were Hanks of wool hung up as if a painting...

There was even more in an old bookcase right next to me at the counter - Tucked away out of plain sight. This was the special stuff.

I ended up coming home with "Lavender" but it is nothing like lavender really. Look at the banner for erica's nappies... that is the colour of the purple... add some navy, some teal in just as vibrant a colour... and that is the 200 gram hank I came away with...

It was expensive (well, compared to the Wool Co wool!)... $24, but it is 100% pure NZ wool, hand dyed in NZ. I am in love with the collection... There was soft muted colours, bright summer colours (citrus is one that caught my eye!), hand painted grey, that has tonal grades through it... Just divine...

I walked in only to get a crochet hook... and only left with wool... Thank goodness I have some hooks that I can use (I just need a 4 for my OTHER project!)

THe more I crochet the more wool I have to buy! MWAHAHA!

(posted at Nappycino)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

awww post a pic of the wool!

Kristie said...

I can't even post a proper pic of the Halloween Longies... do you honestly think I could get a pic of the wool (ie: get ally to upload when I ask)

Unknown said...

Oh how I wish I were close to that store Kristie!!!! :-(
Belinda