Monday, April 03, 2006

Crossing the finish line...

They are done! (ok - well 99.9% done!). Embelishments in the wool are done, I just have to add a couple of final touches, but I cannot do that until tomorrow.

I took some photos with my (new) phone only for it to send the MMS before I was ready - twice! so I threw some money down the drain and have no pics atm. I will get OH to upload the pics that are on the camera currently, take some pics and get him to upload them... or else I will use his photo phone thingo do it that way.

But Yay me!

Another finishing line that was crossed today was Tara's Birth Dramas. I think today I crossed the line between feeling traumatised, and coming to peace. I saw the OB who I was admitted under today. I have to say - he was absolutely lovely. He started off by doing a check on my legs. I still have no proper sensation in my legs post birth and he, although not concerned, would prefer that I get some proper response in regards to the healing time of them. So I had a referal for an appointment with the neurology department.

Then, he wrote up a form for me to have some bloods taken due to me feeling the same things I did with the anaemia with Tara pre-birth/in post natal. We are checking the blood count to see if that is actually a problem.

Then we got onto Tara's birth. He went through my entire file with me from start to finish. He explained the dips and peaks on the charts from the monitoring and why they were occuring where they were. He explained why he thought Tara went into distress. Ultimately he believes it was a collection of the Syntocin, the location of the placenta, the position I was laying, and the intensity of the contractions on the placenta causing restricted oxygen to her (ie: she would panic the placenta was being squished, and would not get the normal amount of oxygen which would cause the heart rate to drop).

He said if it was him, he probably would have done the c-section earlier, at the first sign the PH levels were decreasing, mixed with the patterns of her heart rate.

I questioned the cephalo pelvic-disproportion written on my discharge notes. He was horrified they wrote it, and believe it was probably some monkey ticking boxes for the sake of it. He said if it was true CPD, I would not have dilated to 7cm because there would never have been pressure on the cervix at all. I asked whether he believes I would need a c-sec with my next and he said no way. He'd prefer me to labour vaginally and take it from there...

"each birth is different" were his words.

He also used the phrase "some obs are so scalpel happy"

He believes that some of the communication issues/management of me in hospital was severely lacking and he will take it up with the people that it occured with - including my OB that did the surgery.

All in all...

a) Tara's birth was complicated beyond what I thought it was, and though I may have gotten there in the end, it may have been to her cost (waiting for her to descend more while she was already in large distres).

b) I can have a natural birth next time *yippee!*

c) I feel much better.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

*hugs* babe. I'm glad you questioned the CPD, bloody hell. He sounds like a nice OB, I'm glad he was able to answer questions.

It's weird, while a lot of our labour experiences seem similar on the surface, they were actually quite different - yours was a true emergency, while mine was the result of an impatient MW. *hugs* to you, you've had a rough journey and you've come through it so brilliantly, I admire your strength :). *hugs*

katef said...

so glad you have been able to sort through all this and get some peace