Thursday, March 30, 2006

Zen Cart, the art of making me cranky.

So, I figured if I am going to doing some web work for WAHPs in the future (*fingers crossed*) I should look at one of the shopping carts that many of them seem to like using. I figured I would have a few minor issues trying to scrabble my way around the set up and design stuff - I am a designer first and foremost and hate reading Source and Source products...

I battled my way and uploaded some products, only to find an error coming up. At first, I thought it had to be me stuffing it up, afterall, I am not that savvy... but noooooo they have a bug in their code! They don't support MySQL 5. MySQL 5 has been out for quite a while now and version 4 is dead in the water. You would think the Zen Masters (er, developers) would be quick to support a new database system if the other is no longer being supported.

Wrong answer!

Their solution is for you to go and tell your host provider to roll back from version 5 to version 4 if you want to use their software. Apparently the problem will be fixed in version 3.1 (or something..) but they said that at the start of January.

So now here lies my quandry. Do I look for another free Shopping Cart to fiddle with and create online stores free to offer (potential) customers...

Or do I twiddle my thumbs and say "I will be able to offer this solution to you, when they offer the new product" if customers really want Zen Cart.

My head hurts... I thought Zen was supposed to offer enlightenment!!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Try oscommerce. Jake was going to use it over zencart for a site that didn't go ahead (of course, he would have preferred writing it from scratch, but cost...) Hopefully they support mysql 5.

Kristie said...

Zen Cart actually began life as OsCommerce :) I have looked at it and will look at it some more soon - I was just hoping to go with Zen because it seems to be what all the WAHPs seem to prefer (out of the freebies)...

Jayne said...

Oh I didnt know Oscommerce was the same as Zen Cart? I've heard zen cart is easier & was thinking of having a crack at it myself one day, although I'm a tech dummy & code does my head in ;D

Kristie said...

Not the same, but very similar I believe (well so OH says...) I would not know either way!

Stacey said...

Yeah Jake says the same thing, zencart branched off from oscommerce. he reckons it's not as complex as zencart but of course the problem is mysql LOL.

(I think the wahps prefer it because that is what everyone is using, not because they actually *know* anything LOL). ;)