Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A final Goodbye




To my dearest Ladies

Oh to be young again! How wonderful it is be be to frolic through the meadows. To stop and smell the flowers, and to actually see them again! I have dreamt of it, longed for it, and prayed for it and tonight my wish was granted!

My frail body was failing me – I could no longer see, shivered as winter crept through my bones, and I was cranky with how horribly stiff I was. My legs could barely stretch in the morning and I cursed having to move. Curled up on my woolen blankie, snuggled to Miss Mika and that dreaded cat Monte, I willed the heat towards me.

Winter was a curse! Why could it not be summer all year ‘round? Summer on the farm! What a blessed time it was! How I loved that final trip! Galavanting down the main strip as Miss Mika and Master Apollo showed the way. Chasing cows, pottering in the garden – it was a magical time for me! I am glad I had that final trip. It was wonderful!

My last few years have been wonderful. It was so dreary when Jacq found me, but being the little bugger of a chap that I am – I wagged a tail, winked an eye and was saved. She saw something in me. Then she suckered that family into having me “for a little while”. Well, that Little while lasted a few years! I got a good deal, I reckon. Been a little lucky this old codger has. I got to cuddle up to a young lass every night, and got a mountain of treats! I even learnt how to sit!.

This old dog learnt a few good tricks. Best of all, I learnt about a lot of love.

So my legion of fans. I bid you all adieu from the other side. I have hung up my lead, crossed the bridge and am basking in the sun of my youth. Not a pain in my body, not a cloud in my eye. And with that, I say, Goodnight.

Mr Gilbert

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I said it over the other place, but I wish I could be there to give you a hug and to mourn Gilbert with you.

I will light a candle for him tonight.

Run free Gilbert - beyond pain and beyond tiredness.

Liisa

casso said...

Oh poor Gilbert. :o( So special to hear you had a good run at it with a lovely family while you could. Thinking of you Kristie...

Anonymous said...

sweet little gilbert. will miss him when you come down. so will Apollo.
xoxoxo