Friday, August 04, 2006

Planning.

At the moment I am on a quest to prepare myself for my journey ahead. I want to be able to write out a line of things to do - and prepare for them slowly.

I am already preparing for a few things. Trying to decide if that is the path I want to take. Research can be a good thing.

One of the things I have talked with Ally about is our next child. We will not be trying for a second until Tara is at least two. Well, the plan is for her to at least be two when the next arrives. though it is not as if we planned for -her- arrival! Anyways, I have been trying to work out where I would like to birth next time.

Considering what happened with Tara's birth, it is not surprising that hospital would be a likely choice. Though, how much of our experience was due to being in the hospital? Lots of stuff happened. Not limited to PROM, Posterior, infection, PPH. It all lead to an emergency cesearian.

So am I nuts for considering a homebirth? The more I read about it, the more I would love it. But would I be high risk? I would seriously consider the Ryde Midwifery Birth Centre, but to them (from what I have read) I am high risk and would not be taken (I do not believe they do VBACs).

I know that each birth is different, but is the likelihood of me developing anaemia a consideration? My levels dropped down very low (and likely related directly to the PPH). I guess if I knew about it earlier, I would have been able to boost my levels (found out at 38 weeks).

When I mentioned this to Ally in the car the other day, he was "sure, why not." very matter-of-factly. He would be fine with whatever is chosen. I just am not sure. Part of me is very terrified of a baby's heart tones dropping down to dangerous levels again. Then again - hospital is never far away if needed. I dunno. It is a lot to think about.

Lucky I have time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh exciting! congrats on starting to plan #2. Having had private midwives (planned HB) the love and support you recieve is invaluable and it would be healing for you to just talk about your last birth and see if its possible (different midwives has different rules) If not, having a doula who has cared for womean who have VBAC'ed (or even if you opted for a C-section) can be very helpful too. I know my midwife will stay with the baby while the partner stays with the mum in recovery after a c-section so she is not alone and so they can meet the baby together and the mum is not left feeling that she is missing out.

anyway, rambling.

Grumpy said...

I haven't been by in a while... busy busy baby....

If it is still up in the air consider having a conversation with the midwifery group that you plan to birth with and see what they say... I'd strongly encourage you weigh all the options and also talk with a supportive doula. I wished I had birthed at home... but dh wouldn't have it... so Baby S ended up a c-sec.

A decent midwifery group would know have a good idea when things are getting beyond the home capabilities and in a lot of places they can arrange for a medical team to be on standby should the need arise. Chat with other HB groups as well and see what they say!