Monday, June 23, 2008

Mice....!

Cass. Cover your eyes.

Ok, I have been nice. I've been friendly. I have requested they leave, bargained with them (it was a wee bit one sided), I have even threatened them. But no. Instead of heeding my warnings they just decided to procreate and there were more and more and more. And then the cheeky bloody buggers would come and BOAST about being in my lounge room.

So while I adore rats and mice as pets, when wild ones start leaving their droppings in Tara's toybox and they start tapdancing on the foil in the grill, it is time to do something.

I had tried traps recently, but all they did was eat whatever it was I put on there. While I would prefer not to kill the buggers, and I can hear many readers (all 4 of you) screaming to leave them be... I am OVER it... and I did not under any circumstances want to bait them - I prefer the quick trap method.

Anyhoo. I bought new traps. Surprisingly cheaper than the first lot, but I remember using these at the farm. You don't have to get your fingers caught in the springs, and you don't need to touch a mouse.

So, to spare you all the gory details. I am currently winning I think. 5 mice down. At least 2 more to go.... The first 4 were young ones. Not the big one who would come into the middle of the lounge and laugh at me. He is still around. I heard one in the study behind me about 2 minutes ago... so he's around... and I just spotted the other in the grill.

Believe me, the disinfectant will be getting yet another work out tomorrow.

4 comments:

casso said...

Ok the timing of your post is FREAKY! I went outside to sit on the step and read Harry a book, when we saw Squeezmo come running towards us with a mouse in his mouth! HE then proceeded to play with and taunt the poor thing for ages and then...then...he CHOMPED its head off! *chomp* Just like that! Harry asked me what he was doing and when I told her he was eating the mouse she got very, very upset and asked to go away. But I wished I had walked away quicker because I saw him eat the hindquarters...including the tail. Now THAT was the gross thing. Who on earth eats the tail? Ewwwwww

And no, you can't borrow Squeezmo. He'd drive you mental within about five minutes. :o)

Glad to hear you're winning the war though!

Kahlee said...

Nope, I vote for killing the little rodents *wink*

I'm so glad you're winning!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm not really into killing, but rodents I am!! I hope you catch them all, I am terrified of mice, possums, cockraoches etc

Marieke said...

Whee, late responses to belated blog catching up!

Kill 'em I say.

We had a mouse problem in our last place that lasted a month and a half or so. First I tried the nice route, and set free one that was on the glue trap we started off using (that our landlady gave us). After having others on glue traps that weren't free-able, I felt guilty about having to wait for those to essentially starve to death, I switched to the snap traps. Made quick work of the rest of them.

After having to disinfect half your kitchen each morning because there's mouse poo and pee on the counter and god knows where else, it's open season.

We had some mice in this place too initially, I killed two I think and it all stopped.