Friday, November 17, 2006

On the path to being a Doula.

I keep thinking that I am stuck in a rutt waiting to get this doula course signed up. And then I was thinking today about everything I have accomplished in regards to getting on that path.

*I have my senior first aid certificate
*I have been reading books - Michael Odent's Birth Reborn being one of them, and Birth your Way by sheila kitzinger being another.. as well as having tracked down Birthing without violence at a second hand place - that also has midwifery texts too!
*I am participating in Doula chats, reading, reseaching and familiarising myself with the profession
*I have done the "Guide to becoming a Doula" course with CBI, and have the whole thing printed out ready to go in my folders...
*I have researched for 6 months the courses offered or available to me - though many are prohibitive due to cost, I at least know all my options
*I have spoken with care providers and educators at the local hospital and have their blessing to attend one of their classes
*have worked out care for tara (almost) for one day a week next year so I can have a study day
*spoken to some people in regards to a style of care I could offer my clients if they so wished it - and have the resources to do more - it is very exciting, though I need to train first!
*am 80% decided on a name.

So I have done a fair bit.
Now things I need to do..

*sign up for the course (this is a big one!)
*join the maternity coalition
*join Birth Choices
*read read read


so... there you have it... not so bad after all...

----------------------

*cries* The shot of Rove hugging a sobbing Peter Hellier just sent me over the edge. and then a shot of him Carrying her to the hearse. Trying to be so strong... *weeping*

No comments: